Planning your next adventure in Austria? As a central European country, Austria shares borders with eight countries, making it a perfect base for cross-border road trips. Many tourists choose to rent a car in Austria to explore its stunning landscapes and visit neighboring countries. This guide will provide essential information about crossing borders with a rental car from Austria, the rules to follow, and the required documents.
Countries Allowed for Rental Car Travel
Austria's neighbors include Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Italy, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein. Most rental car companies in Austria allow you to travel to the following countries without additional restrictions:
- Czech Republic
Please note that some rental companies may have specific restrictions or surcharges for certain countries. Always check with your rental car provider for their specific policies.
Countries Not Allowed for Rental Car Travel
Though Austria is part of the European Union, some rental companies may restrict travel to certain non-EU countries in the Balkan region or have additional requirements. Make sure to discuss your travel plans with the rental company beforehand to avoid any issues.
Border Crossing Locations
Austria has numerous border crossing points with its neighboring countries. Some popular border crossings include:
- Germany: Walserberg (A8) and Kiefersfelden (A93)
- Czech Republic: Wullowitz (E55) and Mikulov (E461)
- Slovakia: Berg (E58) and Kittsee (E65)
- Hungary: Nickelsdorf (E60) and Szentgotthárd (E66)
- Slovenia: Spielfeld (E59) and Loibltunnel (E652)
- Italy: Brenner Pass (E45) and Tarvisio (E55)
- Switzerland: St. Margrethen (E43) and Feldkirch (E60)
- Liechtenstein: Feldkirch (E60)
Rules and Required Documents
When crossing borders with a rental car, it is essential to have the following documents:
- A valid passport or ID card (for EU citizens)
- An international driver's license or EU driving license
- The rental car agreement, including permission to cross borders
- A valid insurance certificate (Green Card)
- Vehicle registration documents
Additionally, you may need to purchase a vignette (road tax sticker) for the countries you plan to visit. Vignettes are required in Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia, and Czech Republic.
Returning the Car
Always return your rental car to the agreed-upon location in Austria, unless you have made prior arrangements with the rental company for a one-way rental with drop-off in another country. Be aware that one-way rentals often come with additional fees.
Tips for Drivers
- Familiarize yourself with the local traffic laws and regulations in each country you visit.
- Always have a map or GPS device to avoid getting lost.
- Check for any travel advisories or updates before embarking on your trip.
- Keep your rental car documents and personal identification readily available when crossing borders.