Renting a car in Croatia is the best way to discover the country's breathtaking coastlines, charming cities, and idyllic countryside. To make your Croatian road trip more enjoyable and hassle-free, here's some important information about fuel prices, fuel stations, and helpful tips for drivers.
Fuel Prices in Croatia
As of April 2023, the fuel prices in Croatia are as follows (prices in Croatian Kuna and EUR):
- 92 gasoline: 10.50 HRK/liter (1.40 EUR/liter)
- 95 gasoline: 10.90 HRK/liter (1.45 EUR/liter)
- 98 gasoline: 11.30 HRK/liter (1.50 EUR/liter)
- Diesel: 10.10 HRK/liter (1.35 EUR/liter)
- Gas (LPG): 5.60 HRK/liter (0.75 EUR/liter)
Fuel Stations in Croatia
Fuel stations are abundant in Croatia, particularly in urban areas and along major highways. However, in more remote regions, such as some islands and rural areas, fuel stations can be few and far between. Make sure to fill up your tank before exploring these off-the-beaten-path destinations.
Most fuel stations in Croatia operate from 6 AM to 10 PM, but you can find 24/7 stations along highways and in larger cities. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, but it's always a good idea to carry some cash in case you come across a station that doesn't accept cards.
Croatia has a growing network of electric vehicle charging stations, particularly in popular tourist destinations.
Where Locals Prefer to Fuel in Croatia
Croatian locals typically prefer fueling up at well-established chains like INA, Tifon, and Petrol. These stations offer competitive prices, high-quality fuel, and additional services such as convenience stores, restrooms, and car washes.
Tips for Drivers
- Monitor your fuel gauge when driving in remote areas, and plan your route to include fuel stops.
- Consider using a credit card with cashback or rewards for fuel purchases to save money.
- Observe local speed limits and traffic rules to avoid fines and ensure a safe driving experience.
- Familiarize yourself with the locations of fuel stations along your route, particularly when exploring rural areas.