Renting a car in Cyprus is the best way to explore this stunning Mediterranean island at your own pace. To fully enjoy your journey, it's essential to understand the cost of fuel and fuel stations throughout the country.
Fuel prices in Cyprus
As of April 2023, the average fuel prices in Cyprus are as follows:
- 92 gasoline (Euro Regular): €1.30 per liter
- 95 gasoline (Premium): €1.35 per liter
- 98 gasoline (Super): €1.40 per liter
- Diesel (Diesel): €1.20 per liter
- Gas (LPG): €0.80 per liter
Please note that these prices may vary depending on the region and local fuel stations.
Fuel stations in Cyprus
Cyprus has a well-developed fuel station infrastructure, particularly in urban areas and along major highways. However, some rural or remote areas, especially in the Troodos Mountains, might have fewer fuel stations. It's a good idea to fill up your tank before embarking on long drives through these regions.
Most fuel stations in Cyprus operate from 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM, with some open 24 hours in larger cities. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, but it's always a good idea to carry some cash for emergencies or smaller stations that may not accept cards.
The adoption of electric and hybrid vehicles in Cyprus is accelerating, with the country investing in charging infrastructure to support this trend.
Where locals prefer to fuel in Cyprus
Locals often prefer to use larger, well-known fuel station chains such as EKO, Lukoil, and Petrolina for their competitive pricing, loyalty programs, and additional services like car washes and convenience stores. These stations also tend to accept a wider range of payment options.
Tips for drivers
- Keep an eye on fuel prices: Prices can vary between stations, so compare costs when possible to save on fuel.
- Plan your fuel stops: If you're traveling through rural areas or the Troodos Mountains, make sure to fill up your tank before setting off.
- Carry cash: Although most stations accept cards, having some cash on hand is always a good idea for smaller stations or emergencies.
- Rent a fuel-efficient car: Opt for a vehicle with good fuel economy to save on costs and reduce your environmental impact.