Rent a car in Spain and explore the vibrant culture, stunning landscapes, and diverse cities of this charming country. It's essential to know about fuel prices and stations before you set off on your journey.
Fuel prices in Spain
Average prices per liter (as of April 2023):
- 92 gasoline: 1.45 EUR
- 95 gasoline: 1.50 EUR
- 98 gasoline: 1.65 EUR
- Diesel: 1.35 EUR
- Gas (LPG): 0.95 EUR
Fuel stations in Spain
Fuel stations in Spain are generally well-distributed throughout the country, with many found along highways and in urban areas. However, in some rural and remote locations, such as the Sierra Nevada or the Pyrenees, fuel stations may be sparse, so plan your journey accordingly.
Most fuel stations operate from early morning until late evening, but some in larger cities may be open 24/7. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, but carrying some cash as a backup is always a good idea.
Spain's extensive electric vehicle charging infrastructure is paving the way for a future dominated by clean transportation options.
Where locals prefer to fuel in Spain
Locals often prefer to fuel at supermarkets with petrol stations, such as Carrefour, Alcampo, or Eroski, as they tend to offer lower prices than branded fuel stations like Repsol, Cepsa, or BP. Additionally, local fuel companies like Galp and Ballenoil are popular choices due to competitive prices and promotions.
Tips for drivers
- Always have a rough idea of the fuel station locations on your planned route, especially when driving through rural areas.
- Keep an eye out for fuel stations attached to supermarkets for better prices.
- Consider filling up your tank in larger cities or towns, as prices can be higher in remote areas.
- Make sure to have some cash on hand, even though most stations accept cards.
- Plan your fuel stops according to your vehicle's fuel consumption to avoid running out of fuel.
- When driving on highways, try to avoid refueling at service stations, as prices are typically higher.
- Regularly check your tire pressure, as properly inflated tires contribute to better fuel efficiency.