Rhodes, the largest of Greece's Dodecanese islands, is famous for its beautiful beaches, ancient ruins, and medieval city. To explore its rich history and stunning landscapes at your leisure, you may want to rent a car in Rhodes. To ensure seamless communication during your trip, it's essential to know about mobile operators, local SIM cards, internet access, and cost-effective ways to stay connected.
Mobile operators in Rhodes
- Cosmote: The largest mobile operator in Greece, offering the best coverage and network quality on Rhodes.
- Vodafone: A strong competitor with good coverage and network quality, especially in urban areas.
- WIND: A budget-friendly option, but with slightly less coverage compared to Cosmote and Vodafone.
Cosmote is the most popular choice among locals due to its extensive coverage and reliable network throughout the island. All three operators provide satisfactory services, ensuring a pleasant experience for users.
Getting a local SIM card
- Cosmote: Offers a "Tourist Prepaid Plan" with 10 GB of data, 100 minutes of local calls, and 100 SMS for €10 (approx. USD 11). Cosmote SIM cards can be purchased at their stores, airports, and authorized retailers.
- Vodafone: Their "Holiday Prepaid Plan" provides 10 GB of data, 100 minutes of local calls, and 100 SMS for €10 (approx. USD 11). Vodafone SIM cards are available at Vodafone stores, airports, and partner outlets.
- WIND: The "WIND SimpleFi Holiday" plan includes 10 GB of data, 100 minutes of local calls, and 100 SMS for €10 (approx. USD 11). WIND SIM cards can be found at WIND stores and authorized dealers.
Internet access in Rhodes
Rhodes has good internet coverage, with urban areas having access to 4G networks. Free WiFi is available at airports and in the city centers of main towns like Rhodes Town and Lindos. Many cafes, restaurants, hotels, and bars also offer free WiFi, making it easy to stay connected while traveling around the island.
Tips to stay connected
- Use free WiFi spots when possible to save on mobile data usage.
- Compare mobile operators' travel packages to find the best fit for your needs and budget.
- Consider purchasing a local SIM card for more affordable data, calls, and SMS.
- Use messaging apps like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger to stay in touch with friends and family without incurring international call charges.