Santorini, a beautiful volcanic island in the Aegean Sea, is known for its stunning sunsets, unique architecture, and breathtaking landscapes. To make the most of your time on this idyllic island, you might consider renting a car in Santorini to explore at your own pace. To stay connected during your visit, it's essential to familiarize yourself with the mobile operators, local SIM cards, and internet options available in Santorini.
Mobile operators in Santorini
- Cosmote: The largest mobile operator in Greece, offering the best coverage and network quality on Santorini.
- Vodafone: A close competitor with good coverage and network quality, especially in urban areas.
- WIND: A budget-friendly option, but with slightly less coverage compared to Cosmote and Vodafone.
Cosmote is the most popular choice among locals due to its extensive coverage and reliable network throughout the island. However, all three operators provide satisfactory services to cater to visitors' communication needs.
Getting a local SIM card
- Cosmote: The "Tourist Prepaid Plan" includes 10 GB of data, 100 minutes of local calls, and 100 SMS for €10 (approx. USD 11). Cosmote SIM cards can be purchased at their stores, airports, and authorized retailers.
- Vodafone: Their "Holiday Prepaid Plan" provides 10 GB of data, 100 minutes of local calls, and 100 SMS for €10 (approx. USD 11). Vodafone SIM cards are available at Vodafone stores, airports, and partner outlets.
- WIND: The "WIND SimpleFi Holiday" plan offers 10 GB of data, 100 minutes of local calls, and 100 SMS for €10 (approx. USD 11). WIND SIM cards can be found at WIND stores and authorized dealers.
Internet access in Santorini
Santorini has good internet coverage, with urban areas like Fira and Oia having access to 4G networks. Free WiFi is available at the airport and in the city centers of main towns. Numerous cafes, restaurants, hotels, and bars also offer free WiFi, making it convenient to stay connected while traveling around the island.
Tips to stay connected
- Take advantage of free WiFi spots to save on mobile data usage.
- Compare mobile operators' travel packages to find the best fit for your needs and budget.
- Purchase a local SIM card for more affordable data, calls, and SMS.
- Use messaging apps like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger to stay in touch with friends and family without incurring international call charges.