Located in the heart of the wine region of Georgia, Telavi is a charming city that is steeped in history, culture, and tradition. Visitors can enjoy a range of activities, from exploring ancient monasteries and castles to tasting the local wine and indulging in Georgian cuisine. Telavi is the perfect destination for travelers who want to experience the best of Georgia's wine culture and explore the stunning landscapes of the region.
How to get to Telavi
The easiest way to get to Telavi is by renting a car in Tbilisi, which is approximately 80 kilometers away. The journey takes around 1.5 to 2 hours depending on the traffic. Parking in Telavi is generally available and free of charge.
What to see
- Alaverdi Monastery: Built in the 11th century, this UNESCO World Heritage site is one of the largest and most important religious centers in Georgia.
- Telavi Castle: Dating back to the 17th century, this imposing fortress is now a museum that showcases the history and culture of the region.
- Batonis-Tsikhe Fortress: Located on the outskirts of Telavi, this fortress was built in the 17th century to defend the region from invaders.
- Gremi Citadel and Church: This 16th-century citadel and church is a stunning example of Georgian architecture and features beautiful frescoes and murals.
- Tsinandali Estate: The former residence of the 19th-century poet and public figure, Alexander Chavchavadze, this estate now serves as a museum and winery that produces some of the finest wines in the region.
Where to eat
- Kakhetian Traditional Winemaking: This winery offers traditional Georgian cuisine in a beautiful garden setting.
- Pheasant's Tears: This restaurant is known for its natural wines and organic, locally sourced ingredients.
- Tiflis Restaurant: This restaurant serves traditional Georgian cuisine in a cozy atmosphere with a beautiful view of the Alazani Valley.
Where to stay
- Old Telavi Hotel: Located in the heart of the city, this charming hotel features traditional Georgian décor and modern amenities.
- Chateau Mere: This beautiful hotel is located in a vineyard and offers stunning views of the Alazani Valley.
- Lopota Lake Resort and Spa: This luxurious resort is located outside Telavi and features a beautiful lake, spa, and range of outdoor activities.
Best time to visit Telavi
The best time to visit Telavi is during the summer months from June to August when the weather is warm and sunny. However, the fall months from September to November are also a great time to visit as this is when the grape harvest takes place and the region comes alive with wine festivals and celebrations.
Tips for drivers
When driving in Telavi, it is important to be aware of the narrow and winding roads in the region. It is recommended to drive slowly and carefully, especially when driving on mountainous roads.