If you're planning to rent a car in Czechia, it's important to familiarize yourself with the local traffic rules.

Traffic Rules in Czechia

  • Czechia, also known as the Czech Republic, follows the right-hand drive rule.
  • Seat belts are mandatory for all passengers, both in the front and rear seats.
  • Using a mobile phone while driving is strictly prohibited unless you're using a hands-free device.
  • Children under the age of 12 and shorter than 150 cm must be seated in an appropriate child restraint system.
  • Headlights must be used at all times, regardless of the time of day or weather conditions.
  • The maximum allowed blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is 0.0‰; any alcohol consumption before driving is illegal.
  • It's important to keep an eye out for unique traffic signs, such as the "priority road" sign that indicates you have the right of way.

Speed limits in Czechia

Speed limits vary depending on the type of road:

  • Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
  • Non-urban roads: 90 km/h (56 mph)
  • Expressways: 110 km/h (68 mph)
  • Motorways: 130 km/h (81 mph)

Fines in Czechia

Fines for traffic violations in Czechia are as follows (in CZK and EUR equivalent):

  • Speeding: 500 - 10,000 CZK (20 - 400 EUR)
  • Not wearing a seat belt: 2,000 CZK (80 EUR)
  • Using a mobile phone while driving: 1,500 CZK (60 EUR)
  • Parking violations: 500 - 2,000 CZK (20 - 80 EUR)
  • Running a red light: 2,500 CZK (100 EUR)
  • Drunk driving: 10,000 - 50,000 CZK (400 - 2,000 EUR)
  • Children without child seats: 2,000 CZK (80 EUR)

You can pay fines directly to the officer who issued the fine, or at the nearest police station within 15 days of the violation.

Road Police in Czechia

Czechia is equipped with various traffic cameras to monitor speed and other traffic violations. The road police are known as the "Policie České republiky" and patrol the roads regularly. If stopped by police, remain calm, be polite, and provide the required documents (driver's license, registration, and insurance). In case of an accident, you can call the police at 158, and they will guide you through the necessary procedures.