If you're planning to rent a car in Montenegro, it's essential to familiarize yourself with the local traffic rules, fines, and road police.
Traffic Rules in Montenegro
- Drive on the right side of the road.
- Seat belts are mandatory for all passengers.
- Using mobile phones while driving is strictly prohibited.
- Children under 5 years old must be in a suitable child restraint system.
- Headlights must be on during the day from November to March.
- Alcohol consumption is limited to a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.03% or lower.
- Watch out for specific traffic signs warning about potential rockslides.
Speed limits in Montenegro
The speed limits in Montenegro are as follows:
- Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Non-urban areas: 80 km/h (50 mph)
- Highways: 100 km/h (62 mph)
Fines in Montenegro
Violations and their respective fines are:
- Speeding: €40-2,000
- Not wearing a seat belt: €40
- Using a mobile phone while driving: €60
- Parking violations: €50-150
- Running a red light: €150
- Drunk driving: €300-2,000
- Children without child seats: €80
Fines can be paid at local police stations or post offices within 8 days of the violation.
Road Police in Montenegro
Montenegro has traffic cameras and road police patrolling to ensure the safety of all drivers. If stopped by the police, remain calm, polite, and present your driving license, vehicle registration, and insurance documents. In case of an accident, call 122 for the police.