If you plan to rent a car in Slovakia, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the traffic rules, fines, and road police in the country.
Traffic Rules in Slovakia
- In Slovakia, you must drive on the right side of the road.
- Wearing seat belts is mandatory for all passengers, including the driver.
- Using mobile phones without a hands-free device while driving is prohibited.
- Children under 12 years old or shorter than 150 cm (4ft 11in) must use appropriate child restraint systems.
- Headlights must be on at all times, even during the daytime.
- The legal blood alcohol limit is 0.0% for drivers with less than two years of experience and 0.5% for other drivers.
Speed Limits in Slovakia
Speed limits in Slovakia are as follows:
- Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Non-urban areas: 90 km/h (56 mph)
- Expressways: 110 km/h (68 mph)
- Highways: 130 km/h (81 mph)
Fines in Slovakia
Fines for various violations in Slovakia:
- Speeding: €20 to €650, depending on the degree of violation
- Not wearing a seat belt: €50
- Using a mobile phone while driving: €50
- Parking violations: €20 to €50
- Running a red light: €150
- Drunk driving: €200 to €1,000
- Children without child seats: €50
Fines can be paid on the spot or within 15 days at a local police station.
Road Police in Slovakia
Traffic cameras are widespread in Slovakia, and the road police actively monitor compliance with traffic rules. If stopped by the police, remain calm and polite. Present your driver's license, car registration, and insurance documents upon request. In case of an accident, call the police by dialing 158 or the European emergency number 112.