Renting a car in Slovenia offers a convenient way to explore the country's breathtaking landscapes, charming towns, and historic sites.
Traffic Rules in Slovenia
- In Slovenia, you must drive on the right side of the road.
- Seat belts are mandatory for all passengers, both in the front and rear seats.
- It's illegal to use handheld mobile phones while driving. Use hands-free devices instead.
- Children under 12 years old or shorter than 150cm must use a suitable child restraint system.
- Headlights must be on at all times, including during daylight hours.
- The legal blood alcohol content (BAC) limit is 0.05%. For novice drivers (with less than two years of experience) and professional drivers, the limit is 0.00%.
- Be aware of unique traffic signs, such as "prednostna cesta" (priority road) and "konec prednosti" (end of priority).
- Stay vigilant for cyclists and pedestrians, especially in urban areas and near crosswalks.
Speed Limits in Slovenia
- Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Non-urban areas: 90 km/h (56 mph)
- Expressways: 110 km/h (68 mph)
- Motorways: 130 km/h (81 mph)
Fines in Slovenia
- Speeding: €40-1200 (depending on the severity of the violation)
- Not wearing a seat belt: €120
- Using a mobile phone while driving: €120
- Parking violations: €40-200
- Running a red light: €300
- Drunk driving: €300-1200 (depending on the BAC level)
- Children without child seats: €120
Fines can be paid directly to the police officer who issued the ticket or at a police station within 8 days. You can also pay via bank transfer.
Road Police in Slovenia
Slovenian roads have numerous traffic enforcement cameras to monitor speeding and other traffic violations. In addition to cameras, road police actively patrol the streets and highways. If stopped by the police, be polite, present your identification and vehicle documents, and comply with their instructions.
In case of an accident or emergency, dial 112 to reach the police, fire department, or medical assistance. Provide your location, the nature of the incident, and any additional details.